Re: Auto Transport Trailer

To: tr6@pipeline.com, mgs@autox.team.net, mg-t@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Auto Transport Trailer
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:19:02 PST
>From: Ronald Olds <tr6@pipeline.com>
>To: mgs@autox.team.net, mg-t@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
>Subject: Auto Transport Trailer
>Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:10:21 -0600
>
>I have aquired an MGB from the Wilmington, Delaware area and want to bring
>it back home to the Chicago area over Thanksgiving weekend. I checked with
>U-Haul and they want $424 dollars to rent a transport trailer which to me
>is unreasonable high just to rent a trailer. I checked with Ryder and they
>won't rent one with out renting a truck of theirs. Does anyone have any
>other suggestions for renting a trailer for a reasonable rate. My tow
>vehicle is a Suburban so I have no problems there.
>
>I'll certainly  appreciate and help or suggestions.
>
>Thanks,
>Ron Olds

  If the car is a roller you may want to consider a towing dolly...
  though from the east coast is a long haul. I uesd a diesel VW
  Jetta to tow a rather ratty TR4 about 100 miles a long time ago
  with no probs...

  The best course if go for the dolly, is to disconnect the drive
  shaft so the car won't jump into gear while you're towing it.

  Also you may want to check your local MG club memebers to see if
  anyone has a trailer they would let you borrow or, at worst, rent.

  Finally you may want to find out what a moving company would charge
  to haul the car out here in a van. Most companies move cars as well
  as families and may charge less that Hertz or Ryder will.

  Good Luck

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)