Re: Introduction & TR6s

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Introduction & TR6s
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 13:15:40 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Power British Performance Parts, Inc. wrote:

> I just measured two original cars I've got here with the reflectors (or holes
>were
> they once were...As you can see, placement varied
> widely.  Even from side to side on the same car, where one of the cars was
>different
> by 5/8" from left to right.  I did find that the vertical height was very
>close from
> one side to another on each car, even though the horizontal spacing varied
>widely -
> not sure what this means other than maybe the guy putting them on used his
>finger as a
> gauge and when a new guy took over his job, the technique was passed along
>except the
> new guy had fatter fingers....

These reflectors were installed by dealers in the US on certain cars as a
result of a Federal safety (reflectivity of rear lamps) recall. That might
explain the, well, lack of consistency in location of the reflectors. :-)
There probably was a service bulletin dealing with it, and I'm pretty sure
I remember seeing it written up as well in a contemporary issue of "TSOA
News." But I don't have either handy at the moment.

I also seem to recall that there was a minor redesign of the "Federal"
taillamp unit that satisfied the Federal requirement, so the add-on
reflectors were no longer needed on (let's say) 1972 and later TR6
models. The recall itself affected mostly 1970 and some 1971 TR6s (I think).

--Andy