RE: universal principle

To: jaltman@altlaw.com, vinttr4@geneseo.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: universal principle
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 07:35:29 PST

>From: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
>To: "'Jack W Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: RE: universal principle
>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 09:54:42 -0500
>
>While the principle appears sound, after breaking two taper pins in less
>than a year I had mine welded too.  Easier to cut the sucker out and
>replace
>the shaft and fork than to have to do a semiannual replacement of the taper
>pin.

   I may be missing something obvious here but why weld the pieces at
   all? I've heard about folks who drilled the fork through to the
   other side and fitted a bolt with a nylock nut. They've had no
   problems at all... If you were worried about the bolt breaking
   why not use aircraft grade bolts and nuts? hell if you were worrie
   about the whole mess coming adrift (something I think that won't
   happen you could safety wire it.

>Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
>http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L(O)  W4UCK

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois