What a sweet sound!!

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: What a sweet sound!!
From: Dennis Lambert <DLambert@anaheim.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:36:19 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
All,

That sweet sound would be the sound of my '61 TR-3A firing up for the first
time in 20+ years.  I have owned the car for about 2 1/2 years now, and am
finally making noticeable progress in the restoration process.  After
completely rebuilding the engine, I fired it up for the first time last
Saturday.  The engine has been re-installed onto the chassis (the body is
still on sawhorses, but that's another story), so I hooked up the solenoid
to the starter, ran leads from a battery on the garage floor, touched the
appropriate wires together, and it fired up on the first try.  What a sweet
sound!  I ran it for about 20 minutes; the idle is a bit high - even though
the throttle adjusting screw is backed all the way off, one carb leaks quite
a bit, but I couldn't be happier.  I'm not an ace mechanic, so the fact that
it runs at all is pretty exciting to me.  Completion for the car is about a
six months away (that probably means about a year in real time).

Thanks to all on the list for your help, opinions, and encouragement.

Speaking of help, I hooked up the oil pressure gauge, and it read about
fifty pounds.  This sounds a little low to me; is this normal?  Perhaps the
bypass spring is weak?

TIA
Dennis