removal of TR6 Pistions

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: removal of TR6 Pistions
From: gspens <gspens@interactivemediaworks.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:00:03 -0500
Ok,  I got it.  Here was the deal.  Someone had unbolted all the
connecting rods except the number 5 (counting from the front of the
block right?) beacuse the position of the #5 was up against the oil pump
housing (where the oil pump bolts on) of the block.  I got the crank
free of the mains and was being held on only by the #5.  I figured
(wrong) that I could simply pound the piston down and then get access to
the connecting rod bolts.  What I ened up doing was getting the crank
and rod loosened up and was able to turn the crank "down" from the block
which allow me to push it farenough off center to get a socket on the
rod.
        So now I have the crank off and 3 of the 6 pistions came out
"fairly" easily, the other 3 are going to need more than brute force.
But, this poses another question:  How do I get the rusty cam out of the
block?  Where is it being held?  It looks like there are 3 places where
it fits snugly in the block.  Any one know of any tricks to get it out?
Thanks to everone who has helped.  This (obviously) was my first major
teardown, and the rust, spider webs, dirt and weeds in the block made it
that much harder for me.  The good news is the block looks great, and
judging from the blocks condition and the wear on the bearings (almost
none) and the thrust washers, I figure the engine has less than 30,000
miles on her.

Thanks to everone who helped,
Graham Spencer