TR4 Cam Bearing Question

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Cam Bearing Question
From: "Edward R. Purcell" <epurcel@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 16:43:26 -0500
Listers,  I need help from someone very familiar with cam bearing hole
locations.

Background:  I got my block back from the machine shop and the front
intermediate (third from rear) bearing hole is not over an oil hole.  It
seems very unlikely that the bearing is incorrect and that the machinist
would cover up an oil hole.  This bearing has two holes which are almost
180 degrees apart, therefore when the setscrew is in one hole the other
hole is in the thin part of the web.  The rear intermediate bearing has
two holes close together, one has the setscrew and the other is over an
oil hole.  Given the location of the setscrews and the oil gallery,
logic tells me that holes on opposite sides of the bearing is wrong.  I
wish I had examined and made a drawing of this before turning it over to
the machine shop.  Hindsight again.

If anyone has a spare set of cam bearings, new or used, could you check
and see how far apart the holes are on the front intermediate bearing?
If you have a block around with the cam out maybe you can feel the holes
to determine the distance.

I have checked the archives and my Haynes and repro Workshop manuals.
Any assistance will be appreciated as my last resort is back to the
machine shop.  FYI, the rear bearing is wide with 3 holes, rear
intermediate has 2 holes but is not as wide as the front intermediate
(bearing in question) which also has 2 holes.  Thanks, Ed