Re: TR6 Fuel consumption

Subject: Re: TR6 Fuel consumption
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 12:28:56 -0800
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Paul :

Certainly not standard equipment, although it might have been added by
the dealer.

It's just a vacuum gauge, connected to manifold vacuum, which gives sort
of a rough idea of engine load, hence fuel consumption.  A common add-on
in the '70s, after the "oil crisis" of 73-74 made fuel prices
skyrocket.  (I can remember having to buy gas by the 1/2 gallon, because
the meter on the pump wouldn't go high enough for the price per gallon.
The dealer charged twice the price shown on the pump.)

If your gauge doesn't go significantly above the usual reading when you
decelerate, then I'd say there's something wrong with the gauge.
Perhaps it's not connected to manifold vacuum ?

Randall