At Last... (longish)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: At Last... (longish)
From: "Stephen P." <sppchicago@excite.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 18:50:33 PST
Well, on Friday, I bought a one-way airplane ticket to Duluth, MN (a very
expensive ticket, I might add) to purchase a 1958 TR3A.  I then drove the
car back to suburban Chicago on Saturday, an approximately 537 mile, 10-hour
trip (approximate because the odometer is non- functioning; the mileage
estimate is from mapblast.com).  The owner was wonderful to work with.  Even
though I brought some of my own tools, he insisted on giving some extra
tools, and went out that morning to buy a jack just in case I had a flat
tire on the drive back.  He owned the car for six years, having bought the
car from a fellow in New York state who had owned the car for about 13
years.

The car is mostly original.  The body work is acceptable, but a lot of
misaligned panels - particularly one side of the bonnet where it meets the
fender.  Someone along the way did a very amateur paint job and it shows on
(less than five feet) inspection.  The interior is in very good shape as is
the top.

The car ran fine during the drive except the tachometer started chattering
and squealing as soon as I got on the highway and then gave out.  This
really scared me, because my first thought was the transmission was giving
out.  But I reached under the dash, felt for the tach cable, and felt the
vibration.  (Any ideas on the problem?)

Actually, in addition to the tachometer, the speedometer, gas gauge, etc.
don't work either which made the trip a little more challenging, but a lot
of fun.  The hand brake kind of works, but hte seeler provided me with a
wood block that works quite well.

The worst part, was the heater didn't work.  I thought I was prepared for
the drive with a heavy coat, gloves and a head band to cover my ears, but it
was d*** cold.  Gas stations doubled as heat warming centers for me.  It
took me an hour to warm up once I got home.  My face is still red a day
later from frostbite (I think).  Bear in mind this is past the middle of
November in Duluth and Northern Wisconsin, yet here I am driving an LBC.
Cold, but no snow or ice.

I have benefitted from much of the advice on this list and will now rely on
it a lot more.  I want to thank everyone in advance for any help I get from
lurking or posting, and I will try to post anything I learn in my
adventures.

Steve Peca
Wheaton, Illinois
1958 TR3A - TS23867L