Re: Going to look at a '74 TR6

To: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: Going to look at a '74 TR6
From: Martin Secrest <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:33:31 -0500
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, TR6 <6packlist@mfasco.com>
Craig D. Niederst wrote:

> I've found a '74 TR6 locally that I am going to look at tomorrow. Here is
> what I found out from the owner (who is restoring a TR3 and TR4 currently,
> BTW):
>
> (1) 65k original miles
> (2) New interior including seats, carpet, panels, etc
> (3) Engine and tranny good (car runs and drives OK)
> (4) Body is in good shape, structurally sound according to owner with only
> minor rust showing on rockers (he assures me it is cosmetic, I'll have to
> see)
> (5) Car is currently red, originally green (but paint is OK)
> (6) Car needs a top, drivers side window glass, and rear springs
> (7) Car is being sold because of an upcoming move (already has 2 restoration
> projects to move, doesn't want to take a 3rd unstarted project along
> according to him)
> (8) Asking price is $2500

This sounds like a pretty good price.  I don't think the top, glass or springs
are
an issue, but I would be much more wary about the rockers.  If they're rusting
from
the inside, they'll need replacing, and you should price out the job -- and also
consider that the same situation may exist in several other places around the
car.

Other than that, you should at least check the car's compression, hot oil
pressure
at idle (at least 25 lbs.), differential condition (while driving, hoping for
no
backlash), and listen
for unusual noises coming from the tranny.  If all that is OK, write the check
and
run.

--
Martin Secrest