Re: Engine Breather on Mk2 Spitfire

To: Davies William-qswi646 <QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Breather on Mk2 Spitfire
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 07:04:46 -0700
Cc: "'List, Triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bill,
On the engine that came out of my second (later) Mk1, the hole was
plugged with a freeze plug. I don't know if this was a stock fitting or
if the engine was from a Mk2 (those were plugged)

  Kas Kastner's competition manual says that in order to prevent oil
from coming out the vent on hard left turns, it must be altered.  The
recommendation is to cut the pipe off at the weld and fitting an
additional length of pipe over the portion left in the block.  THe
additional pipe must be bent to a rough "S" shape so that it will clear
the exhaust manifold and exit to the rear of the manifold.  Make the
pipe of such a length that the height will be approximately that of the
bottom of the cylinder head stud.

He also recommends using a crankcase breather fitted to the fuel pump
port and use an electric fuel pump.

--
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer