Re: GT6 Head Swap

To: "Jackson, Dee" <dee_jackson@gilbarco.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 Head Swap
From: "8gees" <8gees@wxs.nl>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:36:00 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "The Usual Suspects" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I'm not an expert on cilindeheads, but I gathered some info over the years.

The GT6 mk2 (Europe)  = GT6+(USA), of wich the latter had anti-smog gear.
In 1970 the Mk3 came, for the USA in an exportversion

Engine/head prefix:
GT6 mk2:  KC50001-->
GT6+ :        KD50001-->
Mk3 Europe:    KE    -->
Mk3 USA    KF and KFUE (late)           (U for USA specs.)

Gradually the CR decreased from 9,5:1 (Mk1), to 9,25:1 (Mk2 + early Mk3), to
9,0:1 in late Mk3. But, esp. for the USA there were engine's with even lower
CR 7,5:1

The early Mk3 had flat pistons, late Mk3 (1971?) (from KE of KF 10.001 -->)
had domed pistons. KE being the European version and KF the USA version.

So your KD head is an GT6+ head (CR ?), The KF is a late USA version head,
probably with a low compression. (KF UE = USA late)

You can obtain more info from the engineno: if there is an L in the suffix:
low compr. and H means high compression.
The chasis suffix letter is an U means USA, UC means USA Calif. version.

So if your engineno is also KD: it will have flat pistons and is not suitble
for your KF2UE head (far to low CR).
But this is not confirmed by the thickness of your heads. So the KF is very
often skimmed or the differens is on the inside. Try to measure the depth of
the combustionchamber, or otherwise there is a quite simple method to
measure it.

Or maybe fellow listers know by head?

Let me know and good luck

Huib