RE: what to modernize

To: "bethken@erols.com" <bethken@erols.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: what to modernize
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 16:10:38 -0500
Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
>From: "Ken & Beth" <bethken@erols.com>
>Subject: Curious...everybody's list of how to modernize...
>

>So, if you didn't give a rat's ass about originality, and were trying to
>make your (choose a Triumph) as reliable as is possible, which systems,
>parts, whatever, would you change and in what order (from most likely to
>leave you stranded to least)?
><

Ken,  I am not a real stickler for originality in a TR that gets driven
pretty often, and possibly pretty far.

Here is what I have done, and it is almost invisible to the casual
glance:

Electonic Ignition
Alternator conversion (I use 70 amp, but you could get more with little more
mounting difficulty)
The engine has had enhancements, but they don't change reliability in the short
run.
The tires will be 195-15, but again, this is not a reliability issue. In bad
weather the skinny tires are better!

Here is what I am about to do which is more obvious:

Remove the crank driven fan.  Install a thermostatted electric "puller" fan on
a better
radiator core.

Convert the belt to a standard width (3/8"?)

Place a harmonic balancer instead of the stock fan.

Install 55/100 H4 headlights.

Hide the fuses and relays for the fan and headlights in the
now useless voltage regulator box.  Looks MORE stock than
the usual alternator conversion since the box continues to have wires
going to it!

That is all that I can think of right now.

Maybe convert to the toyota gearbox....

-Tony
ARhodes@compuserve.com

P.S.  what do you plan to do?