Re: Curious...everybody's list of how to modernize...

Subject: Re: Curious...everybody's list of how to modernize...
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:50:36 -0800
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>

Geo Hahn wrote:
><snip>
> Given the reliability (and
> availability) of modern tires it would almost make sense to chuck the spare
>tire
> and use the space in there for parts that would be unobtainable on the road.

Perhaps I'm biased by living in the western US, but I wouldn't go far
without a good spare.  Flats do still happen, even with modern steel
belted radials.  In fact, I'd say we average about 1/year, my wife's van
has had 2 in the last 3 months.  Plus, there are lots of places where
you'd have to walk 30 miles or more to even find a phone (and AFAIK
cellular service is not available in those areas).

Part of my spares kit is a length of 1/4" fuel line and some golf tees.
If you can scrounge a soft drink can or bottle, you can make a good
enough fuel pump substitute to get back to civilization by siphoning gas
from the tank to first rinse, then fill the can.  Then stick the can in
the battery box (duct tape if necessary) and run a siphon to the carbs.
If your shutoff valve doesn't work, plug the line to the pump with a
golf tee.  Now, with care, you can drive 10 miles or so, then fill the
can again and drive another 10.

I've also gotten home by buying a gas can at a filling station, and
tying it to the passenger's grab bar, with a siphon line to the carbs.

The center of the spare tire, and all around the edges, does make a good
place to keep other spare parts.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver