Re: Question on brakes - TR3A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Kinderlehrer <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Question on brakes - TR3A
From: Thomas Fansher <tfansher@bitstorm.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 10:40:09 -0500
Kinderlehrer wrote:

> I decided today would be good time to rebuild the front brakes, I think it
> was the puddle under the right front wheel that gave me the idea.  Anyway, a
> quick rebuild of the hydralics is turning into an expensive proposition aka,
> shipwrights. Anyway, the questions:
>
> 1. I took the rotors to the only guy that said he'd do it late Sat.
> afternoon, but after looking at them, he said they were pitted (definitley
> were at the edges) and if he machined them, they would come back worse and
> wouldn't be safe -not just the edges.  Is he right?
>
> 2. Why are TR3 rotors 3 times the price of TR4 rotors?
>
> 3. Why didn't I get a TR4?
>
> 4. The pistons don't look pitted at all, but they do seem to have a healthy
> build up of crud in a ring about where they go into the caliper.  Can this
> be removed, or am I into new pistons also?
>
> Thanks much for any advice.
>
> BobIn my humble opinion, I'd rather spend a little more now when parts are
available and I know that I'm going to keep the car (I have for 27 years
and probably will another 27).  When in doubt replace. If rotors are
questionable, replace them.  Clean up the pistons and if any pits,
replace.  Part of my thinking is based on the fact that I'm not the only
driver of the car, I'd like for it to stop for my sons, also.  I also
switched to DOT 5 after the latest brake job, also replaced all the
lines - figuring that after 38 years that wasn't too bad preventive
mantenance.
Going for a ride now, good top down weather in Central Fla.
Tom
61 TR3
62 TR4
I had the same question about why didn't I buy a TR4, so I bought one.