Question on brakes - TR3A

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Question on brakes - TR3A
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 20:06:00 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
I decided today would be good time to rebuild the front brakes, I think it
was the puddle under the right front wheel that gave me the idea.  Anyway, a
quick rebuild of the hydralics is turning into an expensive proposition aka,
shipwrights. Anyway, the questions:

1. I took the rotors to the only guy that said he'd do it late Sat.
afternoon, but after looking at them, he said they were pitted (definitley
were at the edges) and if he machined them, they would come back worse and
wouldn't be safe -not just the edges.  Is he right?

2. Why are TR3 rotors 3 times the price of TR4 rotors?

3. Why didn't I get a TR4?

4. The pistons don't look pitted at all, but they do seem to have a healthy
build up of crud in a ring about where they go into the caliper.  Can this
be removed, or am I into new pistons also?

Thanks much for any advice.

Bob