Re: Stromberg Carb Problem---HELP

To: Ken Waringa <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Subject: Re: Stromberg Carb Problem---HELP
From: Martin Secrest <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:55:53 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Ken Waringa wrote:

> Yesterday I finally got around to adjusting the carbs on my 71 TR6.  The
> rear carb could not be adjusted.  The adjusting screw in the piston would
> not turn.  The screw in the front carb will adjust, but the rear is solid.
> I didn't want to exert to much force and possibly break or strip the screw,
> but I did try pretty hard.  I removed the brass screw that holds the needle
> from turning, and the whole assembly did turn, but very tightly.  I filled
> the cavity on the piston with penetrating oil and left it to soak.  I really
> have my doubts that this is going to help.  Also, how do your remove the
> needles from the piston?  The manual said to turn the setting screw
> counterclockwise (I think) about two turns then remove the needle.  Didn't
> work on the front carb.
>
> Any and all advise will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken Waringa
> 71 TR6 (still needing paint, among other things)
> 74 Midget

This sounds like the problem I had with a 150CD in my GT6.  Ultimately, I
determined that the needle's threads were stripped, and I had to find a
replacement piston.  Stromberg pistons, unlike those in SU's, don't have to
be matched to the cylinder, due to the top diaphragm; one of the few
things a Stromberg has over an SU, I guess.

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6