Re: Metric vs. English (long, little LBC)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Metric vs. English (long, little LBC)
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:29:21 -0500
Dave Massey observes:

> The non-metric standards are quite a hoge-poge.  A barrel of oil is
> different than a barrel of beer.  The British post milages and speeds in
> miles and MPH but sell petrol in litres.  A British pint is 20 oz whereas a
> US pint is 16 leading to quarts and gallons being different in each
> country.  Gold is measured in Troy ounces whereas other items are measured
> in Avoirdepoid ounces.  There are 16 OZ(av) in one pound (av) but 12
> OZ(troy) in one pound (troy).  Confused yet?  And 14 OZ(av) in one pound
> (troy).

Hmmm. this sounds like the system the "dealer" in my dorm used when I was
in college. He always had a nice car. He musta used the most convenient and
profitable measurements.

;-)

rml

p.s. I didn't inhale.

Bob Lang          | TR6 Guy             | this space for rent.
Boston, MA        |                     |