Re: Metric vs. English (long, little LBC)

Subject: Re: Metric vs. English (long, little LBC)
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 09:36:14 -0800
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I'll agree that switching is a large pain, and perhaps it's not worth
the effort.

Still, it seems I spend a fair amount of time doing conversions, which
are much easier with metric measurements.  In fact, my chart of
measurement conversions is one of my most frequently used tools,
especially when doing machining. (What size drill bit gives a .010"
clearance for a 10-32 screw ?) (How many cubic inches are in 2197cc ?)
(What wrench fits a .936" bolt head ?)

Tony Rhodes wrote:

> It is cheaper to use English wrenches since they are
> usually graded in 1/16", so you would need only 16 of them
> to make a pretty complete set.  Metric wrenches are every millimeter,
> and would require 25 of them to cover the same size range.  The
> cost of a wrench set is about 156% higher, and they work
> no better!!

Not so !  The ISO metric standards use a limited number of sizes, not
every mm, so many metric wrench sets do not have the 'in-between'
sizes.  Some of the in-between sizes are actually rather hard to find.
My 'other' car uses ISO metric, and over 95% of the fasteners on the car
are either 10mm, 13mm or 15mm.

And, using every 1/16" is only a convention.  I have quite a few
wrenches and sockets in 1/32" steps.  (Sears Craftsman sets used to
always include 19/32" for no apparent reason except to make the number
of wrench heads come out even.)

> The Farenheit temp scale is about twice as accurate when used
> in full degrees (such as in the weather report).  How am I MORE informed
> if I use Celsius??

_If_ you need that resolution (accuracy isn't the same thing at all),
then you use tenths, etc. of a degree.  But personally, I don't care
about the difference between 68F and 69F.  Even 20C to 21C is just
barely detectable.

> So, what is in it for me to make the change (except the odd mars explorer)?

Maybe not much, except : Wouldn't it be nice if everyone used the same
system ?  Just think, if this had happened 40 years ago, you wouldn't
have to figure out whether that bolt is Whitworth, SAE, UNC or 4
different kinds of metric.  By now, you'd be able to just glance at it
and 'know' that it was an 8mm bolt, with a 13mm head, and the 13mm
wrench/socket would be the only one that 'looked right'.

All the screwball conversions between what should be the same units are
also a pain.  The perennial "how many RPM at 60mph" question always
sends me to look up how many inches there are in a mile.  But, I know
how many mm in a km, just because they are metric.

BTW, although the metric/english SNAFU was the overt reason the Mars
Orbiter was lost, the truth is that it was a _very_ sloppily run
program, with many other mistakes made.  Plenty of blame to go around,
although Lockheed-Martin will bear the brunt of it.  But, if the US had
gone metric 'back when', this particular mistake wouldn't have happened.

Randall