Re: Metric vs. English (long, little LBC)

To: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Metric vs. English (long, little LBC)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:35:08 -0500
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Randall

I'll agree that switching is a large pain, and perhaps it's not worth
the effort.

Still, it seems I spend a fair amount of time doing conversions, which
are much easier with metric measurements.  In fact, my chart of
measurement conversions is one of my most frequently used tools,
especially when doing machining. (What size drill bit gives a .010"
clearance for a 10-32 screw ?) (How many cubic inches are in 2197cc ?)
(What wrench fits a .936" bolt head ?)
<

The non-metric standards are quite a hoge-poge.  A barrel of oil is
different than a barrel of beer.  The British post milages and speeds in
miles and MPH but sell petrol in litres.  A British pint is 20 oz whereas a
US pint is 16 leading to quarts and gallons being different in each
country.  Gold is measured in Troy ounces whereas other items are measured
in Avoirdepoid ounces.  There are 16 OZ(av) in one pound (av) but 12
OZ(troy) in one pound (troy).  Confused yet?  And 14 OZ(av) in one pound
(troy).

OTOH the metric system for pressure measurement is Kg/sqmm.  Or
kiloPascals.  Perhaps a better unit of measurement is Bars (or
Atmospheres).  Whatever.

Lets all convert to Esperanto!

Dave Massey