Engine Startup

To: Jonathan Beaudoin <jbdoin@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Engine Startup
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:52:38 -0500
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Jonathan Beaudoin

Hi list.

    In the preparation of Christmas vacation, I need to order a bunch of
parts to start the engine in my last acquisition.... a 71 TR6. The car
didn't start for the last 10 years!! I have checked everything, and all
seem to me working.. The purpose of this e-mail is to know if somebody
on the list have an idea where I should begin.. The thing is that when I
bought this car, it was suppose to be a parts car. I had to travel
2000kms to get it in Toronto without even seeing it. (my girlfriend
thought I was crazy) Now that the car is in my garage, I cant convince
myself to dismantle it in parts. The body is rust free, the engine
turns, the starter, alternator and everything seems to be working. I
guess I had remord about parting it out. The car is complete and I have
to keep it like this. (I think) So my question is, where do I begin or
what should I do before trying to start it?? Anybody has I idea? Any
suggestion is appreciated like always...

Jonathan Beaudoin
76' TR6 CF55168U
71' TR6 CC63914L
<

Step 1) fill crankcase with fresh oil
Step 2) remove the sparing plugs
Step 3) remove one of the low tension leads from the coil.
Step 4) turn engine over with the starter until you get oil pressure
Step 5) continue to crank engine over for a few minutes to ensure that you
get oil in every crook and nanny.
Step 6) Sometimes the rings get stuck in the grooves and the engine will
smoke for a while but after the rings loosen up the engine will be fine.
What do you have to loose?

Sounds like a keeper!  There are cars more deserving of being parted out.
If you get it running you can sell it for a profit and then your bonne amie
won't think you are crazy then!

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA