RE: HotWire - Ignition Cable

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: HotWire - Ignition Cable
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:40:21 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Jochen, your post was the first I'd heard.  However, you can read all about
them at http://www.nology.com/home.html .

Sounds suspicious to me, but what do I know ?

Suspicious reading of their web site seems to indicate :
1) They've got some racers using "some" of their products but don't specify
which ones (of course), or how much Nology paid for the privilege.
2) They quote two case studies, both showing 1-2% gains in power, against
unspecified (probably stock) wires.
3) One of the case studies is on a MGB, which doesn't appear on their
application chart.
4) The biggest advantage of their wires over something like a CDI or MSD
appears to be that they are (so far anyway) VARA legal.
5) Their "ad speak" seems to do a lot of mixing apples and oranges.  For
instance, they claim that their shorter spark duration (!) means more power
by assuming the energy stays constant.  However, almost any CDI will put
_more_ energy into the coil, meaning more power over the same duration.
6) Their wires are probably only of benefit to a stock point or point
amplifier type ignition.
7) Their wires apparently slow the rise time across the plug (by inserting a
RC circuit between the coil and plug).  Slow rise time means a fouled plug
can bleed off the energy and mis-fire, which was one of the major reasons
CDI was created.
8) They claim to increase torque, by increasing cylinder pressure and
temperature, which should lead to increased NOx production.  Seems hard to
believe the CARB would approve a product that significantly increased NOx
9) They state "Since most vintage racers are purists and don't want to
install those
                   high performance red ignition boxes, Nology's HotWires
are the perfect
                   ignition upgrade."
which would seem to be a tacit admission that an MSD works better, if it's
legal.  At $40/wire for the Hotwire, an MSD is also cheaper ...

Just my $.02 worth <g>
Randall