Trailing Arm Studs/A Second Look-Longish

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trailing Arm Studs/A Second Look-Longish
From: "D. Michael Scott" <dms@snip.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 23:23:48 -0500
A lister just  informed me that the studs may have fine threads on both
ends.

For some reason I thought the bottom was coarse and the top fine, but
seems they are both fine or possibly 5/16s NF??  Will double check.

I have ordered all new nyloc nuts and studs, but I may not replace 6 on
the left rear trailing arm.  They are in very very tight- which is
great!! However, I bought the tap and die kit, and worked on cleaning
out the top threads last night.  It was amazing how corroded and rough
the lower 2/3 of the top threads were!

Seems that the studs are aluminum too, or a soft alloy?  And the way
they are positioned, the area below the nyloc nut corrodes badly.  So,
if you leave corrosion around the lowest point of your prior Nyloc
placement, you may have problems when you go to tighten down your Nylocs
in the future.  Also, it seems like the Nylocs should be replaced, and I
ordered new bolts and nuts for other rear suspension components as
well.  One of my pivot bolts (going through the arms of the trailing arm
bushings on to bracket) was actually rusted/eaten away about an 1/8th of
an inch into the flat middle of the bolt leading  right down to the
thread!!!!

But, believe it or not, I slowly and carefully cleaned out all of the 6
studs with great effort, and now they are in great shape right down to
the bottom thread.  Never thought a die would do such a great job, but
could this weaken the tight fit with the nut?  It does not seem to when
I try on an old nyloc nut.

However,  when I went to clean one of my two studs remaining on the
other arm, the die caught fairly hard I suppose, and the entire stud
unscrewed - leaving me with a
stud stuck in my 5/16s NF die.  Anyway, though I may only do one
trailing arm stud set   ( 6),  today I ordered a set of 12 studs and 12
nyloc nuts just in case from B.R.G..  I have my Loctite Red stud and
bearing tube from Pep Boys, and I'm ready to get this project over with
soon! One little project turns into one more project, then one more, and
I want my car on the road now!

 I have all bushings out (using the threaded rod approach), and two new
bushings in one  trailing arm, and replaced gaitor and inner axle rubber
guard on one half axle. Cleaning and repainting also.

It is amazing what you find out crawling around beneath the rear
suspension area!

Thanks for your help! Comments appreciated.

 Happy Holidays, D. Michael
**Couldn't stop thinking about Triumph rear suspensions on
Thanksgiving?? Worked a bit between bites - must be LBC loco.