Re: Fuel Stabilizer - what is it?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Stabilizer - what is it?
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:22:26 -0500

Fuel stabilizer is (as I understand it, I have never felt the need for it)
intended to prevent gasoline (petrol) from depositing gum or varnish due to the
fuel evaporation.  Stabilizer is intended for gasoline fueled items that will
not be used for a long period of time and where the fuel is not
drained/consumed.  FWIW unleaded gasoline is less likely to varnish or gum up
that the old leaded version.

I store: two cars, two lawnmowers, a garden tiller and a string trimmer (all
gasoline powered)  in the winter.  I do not use stabilizer nor do I drain the
fuel out of these items.  For 8 months of the year my snowblower is unused and I
do not drain the fuel (2-cycle) out of it either.   I have not had any fuel
related problems that I am aware of.

I have purchased two LBCs that were stored for 6 and 7 years respectively.   The
TR-6 was garage stored for 6 years and the fuel had gelled in the line between
the tank and the pump - it took 1/2 hour of time using compressed air and an
entire can of aerosol carb cleaner sprayed into the fuel line to dislodge the
blockage.  The MGB was field stored (pastured with cows - eventually they ate
the top off of it) for 7 years and I had no fuel issues other than the fuel in
the tank was virtually impotent and I used the highest octane fuel available for
the first 2 tankfulls.