Placing a car on jacks

To: D & A Jesudowich <dannij@localnet.com>
Subject: Placing a car on jacks
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 11:11:05 -0500
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by D & A Jesudowich
>I know that there has been some discussion in here on how to do this,
but I can't remember the specifics. Now I'm faced with putting my TR250
on jacks to re-bush, re-spring, etc.
It seems to me that the front end should go up first, then the rear.
Side to side doesn't seem to be the right way, because of clearance
problems for the jack on the low side, if for no other reason.
Can someone give me a hint as to the best procedure (at what points to
jack,especially in the rear), and where I should place the jackstands
once its up?
Thanks,
Alex
TR250 (running REAL well again)
<

Alex,

You are right.  If you jack up the back first you can't fit the jack under
the front.  What I like to do is stages.  Jack the front enough to fit the
stands at minimum height, jack the back to fit the stands at regular or
desired height, and then go back to the front and set it to the desired
height.

I jack the front at the frame cross member and the back on one of the main
fore-aft rails at the point the rear trailing arm perch is attached.  I set
the jack stands directly under the loading points of the suspension so that
the frame is stressed that same way it is when sitting on its wheels.  This
way you can open and close the doors.

Dave