TR6 Frame/Door Distortion Question-Help!

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Frame/Door Distortion Question-Help!
From: "D. Michael Scott" <dms@snip.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 14:10:13 -0500
A lot of listers have been giving me great information for my rear
suspension rebuild job, and it is now progressing well. I am almost
ready to re-install the rear suspension. However, a scary thing happened
along the way.

When the right rear of the car was on a jack, there was no problem
opening and closing the driver door.  Then I jacked up the left rear
side too. After I opened the driver door, the next day  the door  would
not close. As it appears, there is a slight extra space clearance (1/8
to 1/2 inch) between the door and body plates, so the car door is just a
little too far for the jamb and the body latch to fully engage. So I'm
wondering if the car flexed out from the jacking point (under the frame
to front of rear wheels) and if this may represent some serious frame
distortion. And of course, I'm wondering if my door will return to
normal when the tires are back on the car.

Extra info TR sleuths:  1) This car had major welding of the frame
before I bought it 5 months ago, though it looked extremely solid and
essentially well done without any sanding down of the weld lines. It has
been a great driver, though the driver door was especially sticky/hard
to open and close.  2) Now, I have identified a mild bend (with a slight
upward direction to rear most frame) to the top and side of the frame
at  two inches to the front of the the bump stop on right rear. I have
identified a mild bend (again with slight rear upward) on the left rear
frame -  located over to the right of the interior trailing arm bracket
and primarily on the side of the frame member pointing external. 3) I
suspected that after all the patch cutting and welding, the body shop
must have put it on a jig and attempted to bend it back into correct
proportion.  The car came out of the body shop and soon after to me.

The jacks seem to be well located and there is no evidence of any
bending of the frame where the jack has contact.

Any suggestions as to what may be happening, how to assess, and whether
Frame Distortion Nightmares are to be expected.

Thanks for your help, D. Michael/South Jersey
                                75 TR6
                                62 Sprite - in pieces