Re: Water where there shouldn't be

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Water where there shouldn't be
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 08:16:26 -0500
Bill Brewer wrote:

> Hey Dennis & Bridget,
>      You beat me to it. I was just going to draft a letter stating the same
> thing.
>      My 1960 TR-3A has antifreeze that shows up under the valve cover at the
> rear left hand side. I have great compression in all cylinders and no
> evidence of oil/water frothing in the crankcase.
>      Did anyone answer you directly? If so, could you forward it to me or
> fill me in?
>      How about it listers.
>
>      Bill Brewer
>      Bear Valley Springs (Tehachapi, California)
>      1960 TR-3A TS 72747 LO  -Driver
>      1961 TR-3A TS 75307 L     - In Brits & pieces
>
>      I would rather blister my hands pushing a flaming Triumph than drive a
> Miata.

On the big 4 cyl. TR's you might want to look carefully at the aluminum core
plug
located in the top middle of the head.  This is located under the valve cover
between
cylinders 2 and 3 closer to the intake/exhaust side of the head.  It is about
1" dia.
filed smooth on top, so it may be hard to spot as a plug at first.  If this
plug is
weeping,  the coolant could just be puddling around the rear of the head.  It's
likely
you wouldn't see a small trickle directly from the plug as little droplets
would roll
off the oil-soaked head without leaving a trail until a big enough puddle
formed in a
low spot on the casting.  Try wiping the plug clean and then start the engine
with the
valve cover off and watch the plug carefully for a few minutes.

Good luck!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars