Re: TR3 & U-Haul

Subject: Re: TR3 & U-Haul
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 08:31:12 -0700
"greg54321@jps.net" wrote:

> I used a U-Haul dolly to transport a '57 TR3 from Salt Lake City to Davis, CA
> over Thanksgiving weekend.  It was a very tight fit but it does work.  In the
>"lessons learned" category, I have some advice:
> 1. Verify that the dolly is in sound condition before you leave the rental
>yard - my dolly's right-hand light did not work and one of the straps was
>frayed (it broke in Wells, NV).

In my limited experience, poor condition U-Haul dollys or trailers aren't
unusual. I had a consultant down in NC for six months, and when he returned to
Denver he hauled his Miata on a U-Haul trailer. He picked
it up with bald tires and missing safety equipment, and when it flatted shortly
after he picked it up -- but luckily before loading -- they couldn't locate a
spare tire. He had to *drag* the trailer over 1/2 hour
to another U-Haul location to get a spare, and then they wouldn't give it to
him because the trailer had an outstanding recall on it!!! Apparently the first
shop didn't notice that. He had to drive to a third
location to get a good trailer. Could just have been one -- well, several --
bad experience, but I've heard other stories too.

> PS: Does anyone have any suggestions on locating a TR3 hood?

I was thinking I saw one on the highway between Utah and California. :-(

--

Steven Newell
Crave Technology, Denver, CO