Misc Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Misc Questions
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:38:58 EST
Listers:

Several questions as the car comes closer to being whole again. 65 TR4A -
live axle.

1-Putting the speedo cable back in I saw a black sticky substance (not a lot)
on the end that goes into the housing. What is it and do I need to coat it
with anything before attaching?
2-I'm replacing the seals in the rear wheel cylinders. In Moss I saw a spring
inside the cylinder that was not in mine and it doesn't appear to be
appropriate. Is it or is the drawing a sort of composite of more than one
kind/version of cylinder?
3-I removed the dual Strombergs about a year and a half ago and they have
been sitting (wrapped) for that time. Will this inactivity - in itself -
necessitate adjustment when I put them back on?
4-In looking to put the tach connection back into the bottom of the
distributor, the toothed end goes in and stops long before the threads get to
where they need to be. Is this just a matter of jiggling/twisting to make
them seat or is it a question of pressure?
5-Okay, heres a dumb one. The car did not have a radiator duct at any time I
know of (since early eighties). I got a new one. How does it go on? What, if
anything, attaches to the radiator itself? Do the flanges on the duct slip
under the edges of the raditor or does it just sit flush against it? Or does
it even touch?
6-I have one original horn and one replacment. I want to get a match but
cannot find the letter "L" or "H" on the one I've got. Where is it?
7-I'm looking to have the bumpers re-chromed. The quote I have is in the $250
each range. That is said to include all prep inculding starightening and
smoothing out dings, etc and is  triple coating. Reasonable? Good deal?
8-What's the grille made out of?
As always, TIA

Jim
65 4A