Re: TR6 hardtop questions: cinching this puppy down.

To: John Jacobsen-Watts <johnw@wrq.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 hardtop questions: cinching this puppy down.
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 07:46:18 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>In other words, I think I have this hardtop as close as I can get it to the
>car proper. Is there something I'm missing? Is it OK for there to be
>clearance between the rubber stops and the rear deck?
*************************************
Yes, you need some clearance because as the car is driven, the hardtop
kinda flexes.  The main reason for selling my factory hardtop many, many
years ago (for my Spitfire, but its basically the same as the TR6) was
because of this flexing.  It would scratch the rear deck directly under the
rear of the hardtop, leaving essentially a scratched outline in primer of
where the hard top was fitted (maybe my stops were too short, but were
talking about a brand new top at the time, not an old restored one, so it
WAS just as it left the factory.  That and the fact that I really didn't
use it that often, It is after a convertible.  I have a GT6 now, if I want
the hardtop option, expensive I know, but hey, what can I say:-)

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)