TR6 hardtop questions: cinching this puppy down.

To: "'Triumph Digest List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 hardtop questions: cinching this puppy down.
From: John Jacobsen-Watts <johnw@wrq.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 07:13:01 -0800 charset="iso-8859-1"
I need some listers with hardtop experience to help me finish up my write up
of how to strip and rebuild a TR6 hardtop (tip 'o the day: put that new
headliner in the dryer for a short time to remove folds, then lay it out on
a flat surface!).

My problem is this (or maybe no problem??): I put the hardtop on the car,
put in the windscreen bolt set (loose), the rear deck bolt set (again,
loose), and then tightened down the front set. Turned to the rear set,
turned the OUTER hollow bolt out for full contact between hardtop and deck,
then ran the 5/16 setscrews in to tighten. Doing this still leaves the rear
rubber bump stops with about 1/8" clearance. Is this right? If I turn the
outer hollow bolt clockwise to tighten, this will ony pull the hardtop up!

In other words, I think I have this hardtop as close as I can get it to the
car proper. Is there something I'm missing? Is it OK for there to be
clearance between the rubber stops and the rear deck?

Next question is about the side post/hoop clamp set: Do there pull the top
down in any way?

Thanks very much in advance for your replies. I will have the full writeup
on this project shortly (in HTML) and will get it to y'all for review and
critique (much appreciated) once I have these bits and pieces sorted out.

John
johnw@wrq.com