Re: TR6 hardtop questions: cinching this puppy down.

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 hardtop questions: cinching this puppy down.
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 12:56:00 -0500
John Jacobsen-Watts wrote:

> I need some listers with hardtop experience to help me finish up my write up
> of how to strip and rebuild a TR6 hardtop (tip 'o the day: put that new
> headliner in the dryer for a short time to remove folds, then lay it out on
> a flat surface!).
>
> My problem is this (or maybe no problem??): I put the hardtop on the car,
> put in the windscreen bolt set (loose), the rear deck bolt set (again,
> loose), and then tightened down the front set. Turned to the rear set,
> turned the OUTER hollow bolt out for full contact between hardtop and deck,
> then ran the 5/16 setscrews in to tighten. Doing this still leaves the rear
> rubber bump stops with about 1/8" clearance. Is this right? If I turn the
> outer hollow bolt clockwise to tighten, this will ony pull the hardtop up!
>
> In other words, I think I have this hardtop as close as I can get it to the
> car proper. Is there something I'm missing? Is it OK for there to be
> clearance between the rubber stops and the rear deck?
>
> Next question is about the side post/hoop clamp set: Do there pull the top
> down in any way?
>
> Thanks very much in advance for your replies. I will have the full writeup
> on this project shortly (in HTML) and will get it to y'all for review and
> critique (much appreciated) once I have these bits and pieces sorted out.
>
> John
> johnw@wrq.com

 John,

Yes, the mountings at the B-post WILL pull the rear corners of the hardtop down
better
than the bolts under the backlight.  That said, you may want to leave a little
clearance at those bumpers because they WILL scratch the paint and you'll have
two
'crescent moons' on your rear deck come springtime.  I have a few customers
with '6
hardtops and I'm doing spot refinish work every few years in that area.

BTW, may I ask where you got your headliner, and was it the correct original
style
material?  We did an exhaustive search for the correct pattern material a few
years
back and gave up after 4 month's active searching.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars