Re: TR6 Engine parts colors

To: ads.holzher@sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: TR6 Engine parts colors
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 23:31:46 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
You Wrote:

> Dear list,

Hi,

> I am cleaning and repainting some of the engine parts in the 73 TR6. If
> anyone know the colors of the following would be helpful.

I'm sorry, I gotta chime in here. The first few replies to this one were
actually wrong.

> Exhaust Manifold - just cast from the factory or painted? color?

They used to rust pretty fast, but I recall a silvery aluminum paint on the
manifold. FWIW, I tried the so-called "high heat" type of duplicolor on
mine. Worked pretty well, but if you put the paint on thick, it'll flake
off in little tiny flakes. I was running test on my car in the garage that
year. I had those flakes _everywhere_ in my garage.

> Carb linkage - just metal from the factory or painted? color?

Plated - cadmium, I think. Gold-ish color.

> Brake Master cylinder- just cast from the factory or painted? color?

Booster - semi-gloss black. Not flat black, not gloosy black. Semi-gloss
black. MC body - GOLD. Not polished, not silver - GOLD.

> Oil filter canister- painted? color?

GM Engine blue - it's an AC housing. BLUE.

> Water pipe intake manifold - metal from the factory or painted? color?

Hmmmm. I painted mine silver when I painted the manifold. I forget what
color it was. I do recall that the pipe rusted pretty early in the car's life.

> Thermostat housing - metal from the factory or painted? color?

Same color as the engine... gloss black.

> Thanks,

Yer welcome.

> Cliff
> 73 TR6

rml
74 TR6, 73 TR6, 69 TR6, 72 TR6
Hmmm. There's a pattern here.

Bob Lang      | TR 6 Guy           | Editor: New England Triumphs
Phone:        | 617-253-7438 (days)| 781-438-2568 (eves)
Occupation:   | ComputerZ          | TR fixer-Upper