SU HS6 Rebuild Questions

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU HS6 Rebuild Questions
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:11:25 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Liters,

I just finished taking apart my SU HS6 carbs.  I had a couple of
questions for the experienced SU rebuiders out there.

I bought a master rebuild kit and throttle shaft/bush kit from
TRF.  My old shafts are really worn.  Lots of air leaking here.
After cleaning the carb body, I noticed the holes already had
bronze bushes in the body.  The bushings look like a factory
original job... part of the casting and only go 3/4 of the way
in... from the inside.  Did the SUs come with bronze bushings or
just the HS6s.  The bushings are not badly worn...the shafts took
all the wear. And the new shafts fit really good as is. But they
are worn some on the side corresponding to the shaft wear.

Is it OK to ream these bushings out and insert new ones.  BTW..
TRF sent me the wrong part... they sent long H6 shafts instead of
the shorter, keyed and threaded HS6 shafts. I want to reorder and
return the part but just checking to see if this is normal.

Second, The rebuild kit comes with firm rubber/silicone
bush/isolators for the float bowl attachment to the card body.
My carbs have metal parts.  The silicone parts would allow the
float bowl to move a little and absorb a little vibration. Is it
good practice to replace the metal spacers with the
silicone/rubber parts.

Thanks... all advice is appreciated

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L - Groton, MA