Re: Re: SU HS6 Rebuild Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: SU HS6 Rebuild Questions
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Mon, Dec 13 1999 10:16:26 GMT-0500
Cc: sanborn@net1plus.com
Listers,

Thanks for the great advice I got from everyone.

However,  I can see that I didn't make myself completely clear on the subject
of SU throttle shafts. Michael, Irv and Arron gave me some anwers that assume
that the HS6 uses the same long shafts as the H6.

The HS6 was used on the last bunch of TR4As and my engine came from a TR4A
donor many years ago. The HS6 is an evolotionary improvement to the H6 used
from at least the early TR3s to early TR4s, not about TR2.  The H6 throttle
shaft is long so it sticks out on both sides of the carb body and the actuating
levers are attached around and on the shaft by clamping and set screws.  The
levers must be lined up by hand. The excess length is cut off the other side.

HS6 shafts are shorter, exact length and do not require triming or drilling.
The end of the HS6 shaft that takes the levers is machined with a key and is
also threaded for a retaining nut.  There is no figuring the postion out... the
levers fit over the keyed shaft end in exact postion.

They are the same diamater though... and based on the fit of the new shafts I
have in hand... I will not need the rebushing.  At least that's my best guess.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4 CT16260  Groton,MA
TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html