Re: Continuing Fuel Problems

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: Re: Continuing Fuel Problems
From: "Martin A. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:13:26 -0500
Cc: Ken Waringa <kwaringa@dynsys.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Peter C. wrote:

> Ken,
>         Please don't shoot me for suggesting this, but I've seen it quite
> often....(and I know you said the floats are adjusted) but they can be
> upside down so that the bowl cover keeps them open.
>         Hope this helps and that the solution is this simple.
>         Peter C
> ---
> At 07:56 AM 12/15/1999 , Ken Waringa wrote:
> >
> >Well I rebuilt the carbs on my 71 TR6 and reinstalled them, same problem as
> >before.  The carbs are flooding the engine with gas.
> >
> >During the rebuild, I paid extra attention to adjusting the floats.  Did
> >everything by the book.  Reinstalled the carbs and the car won't start.
> >Checked the plugs and they are VERY wet, I also have gas in the oil it's
> >getting so much.. I've reviewed the VTR adjusting guide again, and noticed
> >at the bottom of the guide it says
> >
> >"Grose-Jets are very popular with some people and a big pain for others. It
> >appears -- and this is just conjecture -- that Grose-Jets work best in cars
> >with adjustable floats. The standard failure for Grose-Jets is to flood the
> >carburetor."  (my problem exactly)
> >
> >The kits I got from TRF contained Grose Jets.  Any recommendations?  I'm
> >going to pull the carbs again tomorrow.  I'm almost at the point of buying
> >new carbs.
> >
> >As an additional precaution, last night I checked my fuel pump pressure.
> >I'm getting 3 - 3 1/2 lbs. without the engine running.  The book says I
> >should have 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 lbs. with the car running.  I'm hesitant to change
> >anything with the fuel pump at this point since the car was running great
> >last week.
>Guys:

Sure, the floats could be upside down, and that still isn't the problem.
I had the floats installed both ways on the 150CDs in my GT6 when I had
Grose jets, and the carbs (well, one of them at least) flooded both times.
Still don't know why.  The only fix was to revert to standard valves, and
the problem went away ...

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6