Continuing Fuel Problems

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Continuing Fuel Problems
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 07:56:03 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Well I rebuilt the carbs on my 71 TR6 and reinstalled them, same problem as
before.  The carbs are flooding the engine with gas.

During the rebuild, I paid extra attention to adjusting the floats.  Did
everything by the book.  Reinstalled the carbs and the car won't start.
Checked the plugs and they are VERY wet, I also have gas in the oil it's
getting so much.. I've reviewed the VTR adjusting guide again, and noticed
at the bottom of the guide it says

"Grose-Jets are very popular with some people and a big pain for others. It
appears -- and this is just conjecture -- that Grose-Jets work best in cars
with adjustable floats. The standard failure for Grose-Jets is to flood the
carburetor."  (my problem exactly)

The kits I got from TRF contained Grose Jets.  Any recommendations?  I'm
going to pull the carbs again tomorrow.  I'm almost at the point of buying
new carbs.

As an additional precaution, last night I checked my fuel pump pressure.
I'm getting 3 - 3 1/2 lbs. without the engine running.  The book says I
should have 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 lbs. with the car running.  I'm hesitant to change
anything with the fuel pump at this point since the car was running great
last week.

Any suggestions/advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken Waringa
71 TR6 (Broke but supposed to go for painting tomorrow)
74 Midget (Still running, but tranny making noise)