TR6 Front Springs

To: "'david orcutt '" <dorcutt@total.net>
Subject: TR6 Front Springs
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:53:34 -0600charset="windows-1252"
Cc: "'Triumphs@autox.team.net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>

David Orcutt wrote:

>I decided to update my [TR6] rear springs
>with a set of heavy duty springs from british
>victoria . . . they were apr 3/4 of an inch
>shorter than the originals but were stiffer.
>. . .on occasion I would bottom out on the
>rubber snubbers.
> . . .I was going add the aluminum spacer that
>roadster sells and see what happens.

Your set up is quite different from mine (450lb/in in the front and 510lb/in
in the rear) so I don't speak from experience, but it seems odd that the
"heavy duty" springs wouldn't compensate for the loss of 3/4" in spring
height. There are a couple of options -

1) If you're sure that the tire is not going to hit the inside of the
fender, you can buy (or make) shorter bump stops.

2) If you like the way your car rides and handles with the stiffer springs,
I'd try the spacers before going back to stock springs. Goodparts also sells
them.

Jim Hill
Madison WI