Re: Crane Ignition

To: Bob Maser <w6tr@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Crane Ignition
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 06:32:44 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
No, that's actually the "correct" timing.  But it's with the vacuum retard
line CONNECTED.  Usually, on most cars, timing is set with the lines
disconnected and the timing is set at something like 8 or 12 deg before.
With the retard line connected and timed you would find that when you
disconnect the line, you would have something like 6-8 deg before.  On my
GT6+, which *should* have the retard vacuum line connected it's the same
factory spec. of 4 deg AFTER.  I have modified the dist to have only vacuum
ADVANCE, and I have the timing at about 12 deg before (line disconnected),
and the car runs GREAT.  Doing this also helps prevent the car overheating
at idle on hot days, as the engine really DOESN'T like to run at 4 deg
after.  Maybe for emissions it better, but for engine efficiency it's
definitely not- Of course this is not legal in states where emission
inspections are mandatory (and technically not legal on any emission
controlled vehicle anywhere), except for vehicles which are raced or not
used upon the highway. . .so occasionally I stoplight drag, up to legal
speed of course so I sorta *race* my vehicle and it's . . um . . .legal to
do those modifications :-)

Happy Holidays to all -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)