Re: Crane Ignition

To: Jim Altman <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Subject: Re: Crane Ignition
From: levilevi@home.com
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 00:49:21 -0700
Cc: "'Bud Rolofson'" <Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov>, "'Bob Maser'" <w6tr@mindspring.com>, "'triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Ok, here's the long version of what I was trying to say since I might
have messed up the short version.  You can interpret static and dynamic
timing settings as references to the ignition timing when the engine is
either not in motion (static) e.g not running, or in motion (dynamic)
e.g. the engine running.
Another way to look at it is when you apply the terms static and dynamic
to when the vacuum retard not working (static) or is working (dynamic)
when the engine is idling.  Which is what I think the Bentley manual is
doing.  So if you set your timing with the vacuum retard unhooked (and
plugged at the source of vacuum) with the engine idling then you should
use the static (10-12 BTDC) setting since the vacuum retard is not "in
motion".  If you set your timing with the vacuum retard hooked up with
the engine idling then you should use the dynamic (4 ATDC) setting since
the vacuum retard is "in motion".

If you set your timing with the engine off as some people apparently do
then you use the static (10-12 BTDC) timing setting since obviously
nothing (engine or vacuum retard) is "in motion".  Seems to me that
setting the timing using the static (10-12 BTDC)is the "safest"
way to go since if you choose to hook the vacuum retard back up and for
some reason it is not operating properly your car will still run
decently at most, if not all, of the operating range.

Seems to me that setting the timing using the static (10-12 BTDC)is the
"safest" way to go since if you choose to hook the vacuum retard back up
and for some reason it is not operating properly your car will still run
decently at most, if not all, of the operating range.

Bud