Re: 2000 Estate on Q plate

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
Subject: Re: 2000 Estate on Q plate
From: Lawrence G Miceli <lgmtr6@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:04:40 -0500
Cc: Igmtr6@juno.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Just a quick note to thank  everyone who responded to my question on the
"Q" plate. It seems that there is quite a mystery as to how a right hand
drive Triumph 2000 Estate got to the great state of Maine. I guess the
BMH certificate will be on the Christmas list.

As an aside,  fellow Triumph club member and good friend, Brent Owens,
has agreed to buy the car from the club (at no profit) as he has 3 little
kids and made me feel guilty that he would not be able to take them all
to Triumph events without a Triumph station wagon...  This  will work out
great as Brent will do a terrific job on the restoration and make it the
fastest TR 2000 Estate in North America (you should see his Herald eat
TR8s in the autocross)

Now on to the Bond Equipe....

Larry Miceli
Gold Coast Triumph Club
Pompano Beach, Florida
'73 Stag
'66 Herald

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:02:00 -0000 "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
writes:

>Lawrence Miceli wrote:
>
>Well, the 2000 Estate wagon is here!! The car is in great
>shape, with all
>of it's original paperwork, tools, and even the original
>British license
>plate. The registration number was " QL 3294" does this mean
>anything to
>anyone.
>
>Sorry Larry, the licence plate isn't original. What we
>call Q plates (at the time your car was authorised to wear
>them) indicates it had probably been first licensed
>elsewhere outside the UK and was re-imported. It would have
>been allocated a Q plate because the original licence
>documentation had either been lost or was insufficient to
>allocate it what is known as an 'age related' registration.
>So how could this happen? Either it originally belonged to a
>diplomat or was used with a UK Forces licence plate as found
>in those days in Germany. Maybe they're still in use? Sorry
>to disappoint you, but this licence isn't original. It's my
>guess the car was originally supplied under the Standard
>Triumph personal export scheme in which case it would have
>had a Coventry licence - and that isn't a Q plate. Best way
>to validate if it was PE is to invest $40 with Heritage
>Motor Centre for a Heritage Certificate. If it was licenced
>at Coventry prior to initial delivery, the Heritage
>Certificate will tell you what it was.
>If a Heritage Cert doesn't provide the info you seek, then
>the only other avenues are that it was built outside the UK
>and imported with someone's personal effects or it was a UK
>domestic car that somehow went abroad for a while. Is it
>left or right hand steer?
>You were also recommended by Ian Viles to check out
>http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/plates
>I put up that website and it describes the UK licensing
>system with particular emphasis on coventry numbers - no
>other
>
>Jonmac
>
>PS Posting to the list as my reply to your address bounced
>back

Larry Miceli
Gold Coast Triumph Club
Pompano Beach, Florida