Re: radiator swap on a TR4

Subject: Re: radiator swap on a TR4
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 01:34:21 -0800
Cc: triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David :

Another option you may want to consider is having your radiator
re-cored.  This essentially makes it a new radiator, since all the parts
that radiate heat (the fins and tubes) are replaced, but keeps the fit
of the original radiator, since the original mounts and tanks are
retained.  I had a TR3 radiator recored recently, I believe the price
was around $150 (without the crank hole).  Not bad when you figure that
a used American radiator will cost $50-100 from a junk yard, plus
another $30 to have it rodded and repaired, then all the hassle with
rerouting hoses and mounts.

I went to Mac's Radiator in Bellflower, but there is probably a good
shop nearer you.

Another thing to check is whether your radiator and cap are both either
"long neck" or "short neck".  Measure from the lip inside the opening on
the radiator to the top edge, and then the matching dimension on the
cap.  Both should be either 1" (long neck) or 3/4" (short neck).  Using
a 3/4" cap on a 1" radiator will substantially reduce the efficiency of
the radiator.

Randall