RE: TR6 Poll: Bearing Knock

To: "Martin A. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Poll: Bearing Knock
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 10:36:22 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Martin,

I don't think there is anything OK about a bearing knock. The
problem is not going to get better and the next things that
happen are very costly.

I would stop driving it... and plan a winter rebuild... at least
the bottom end.  But if you have a knock already, you probably
have some damage to the bearing shells and consequent wear on the
main and rod crankshaft surfaces.  If you put in new shells with
less than perfect crankshaft surfaces... they won't last long.

Think of it has an opportunity to get a "like new" engine.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/Home.html