TR6 Poll: Bearing Knock

To: "Martin A. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Subject: TR6 Poll: Bearing Knock
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 21:36:01 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Martin A. Secrest"
>Today's question is about bearing knock.  Mostly because I have some on
my '72 TR6 engine, at start-up and then again at hot idle, where the oil
psi is about 20-25 pounds.  The bearing knock at hot idle disturbs me,
and has me contemplating at least a bottom end rebuild, but I was
wondering if others experience the same thing.

Martin Secrest
<

Martin,

I suggest you replace the crank bearings.  It's not that dificult, I've
done it as have several others on the list.  And its a good time to replace
the thrust washers and oil pump.  Once you've done that the oil pressure
will be much higher and with any luck your rod knock will go away.  If it
doesn't then you've wasted about $100 worth of parts.  But if it does you
will save on a short block rebuild.

As I said, I did my TR6 two years ago and the oil pressure is significantly
higher.  I didn't have a rod knock but the thrust washers were a bit
knackered and there was about .012 in free play in the crank.  I set it up
for .002 and it works fine now.

Good luck and have a happy time with the family (you didn't get them what
they wanted but who cares.)  ;-)

Dave