Re: LUCAS oil filters and airplanes,would you use 'em ? !!!!!!!!!!!!

To: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: LUCAS oil filters and airplanes,would you use 'em ? !!!!!!!!!!!!
From: Don Kerr <dkveuro@pop.flash.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 22:16:53 -0600
Cc: brit cars <british-cars-owner@autox.team.net>
Randall, hate to take issue here, but stock VW bugs have no oil filter,
only a screen to stop large chunks.
Anything that it can stop is plenty big to be a problem.
   The commonly refered to oil filter on the bug is actually a course
screen and a restriction for the oil pump, I leave them out on service,I
clamp a magnet to the pick-up tube instead, and as the oil man said, "If
its heavy enough to sink it can DO no harm, if its light enough to float
then its not big enough to hurt."  Engines I build (VW bugs) I plumb for
a full flow oil system. Ford did a study that showed major wear
reduction using a filter, against not using a filter, especially at the
rings.
Now how can we devize an oil system for a throw-out bearing with a built
in oil filter for Randall?
 Bye Randall............
           DK.