Re: fuel efficiency of the third kind...

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: fuel efficiency of the third kind...
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 14:18:25 -0700
Cc: Don Kerr <dkveuro@pop.flash.net>, "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>, John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

David Massey wrote:

> Joke #2
> A man takes his VW to the dealer complaining that he is not getting as good
> a gas milage as his friends who own VW's.  The dealer said to do what his
> friends do - lie.

What really put a burr under the gas mileage freaks' saddles was the EPA
estimated mileage on the new car sticker. Most everyone realizes that it
is an estimate, that driving conditions and habits play a strong part in
gas mileage, etc. The fanatics do not. When I worked for a Toyota garage
in the early `80s, we had one guy who had his car in four times for
warranty work because the highway mileage estimate on the sticker was 38
mpg, and he only got 34. We ended up having to dig up the service tool
to measure actual mileage, then drove the car, twice, as carefully as we
could, and got 37.3 and 37.5. The customer's reply? "It's not 38, is
it?" After some tweaking, we got it to 37.9, once, and the customer
finally gave in and said that was close enough.

Cheers.