RE: Everthing you thought you knew about QUALITY.

To: "Randall" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Everthing you thought you knew about QUALITY.
From: "Gene Garrison" <gene@garrison-grafixx.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 21:00:26 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "brit cars" <british-cars-owner@autox.team.net>
Randall -

My answers to your questions are imbedded below.  Good questions, BTW.

- GeneG

Nope.  Took it off in the normal fashion at the normal time.  No changes or
unusual circumstances in the motor, etc.

  Could it have been the wrong filter (no
> internal bypass valve) ?

Was a PH2825.  Same model I've been using on the car since I converted it
from the canister type, some 8 or 10 years back.

  How long was the filter on the car ?

About 2500 miles.  Normal time.

  Could
> the collapse have happened only when the filter was at the end of it's
> useful life (and the bypass was opening anyway) ?

I don't know; what's "useful life"?  This was not a case of the bypass valve
opening because the filter was dirty.  The filter element (the "paper") was
actually pulled away from the housing and flattened up against the
faceplate.  The thing that bothers me is that I don't know how many times
this might have happened before.  Normally I pull the filter off the car and
it goes face down in the drain pan and then face down back into the box and
into the trash.  This time I just happened to look at it.

I _was_ using Fram and only Fram on all 4 of my cars.  With this experience
plus Russ Knize's apparently very reasonable observations, I'm seriously
concerned about how much damage I may have done to these engines.  Or
probably better stated, how much extra wear I caused.

But, mainly, it means I've got to decide on another filter manufacturer.
Major life-change traumatic event.  ;-)}