Re: TR4 Clutch Rebuild at an Impass

To: wdaehler@execpc.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Clutch Rebuild at an Impass
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 06:51:15 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 12/28/99 10:55:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wdaehler@execpc.com writes:

<< My TR4 clutch rebuild project was going great.  I replaced the three
 needle bearings and re-installed the 3rd gear C-clip.  These were hard
 jobs. Having got this far I hadn't ever read from the discussions on the
 list I wasn't prepared for any insurmountable hurdles after this.

 But I am at a major impass.  With everything in the gear box I have
 about 1/4" gap between the rear main bearing C-clip and the wall of the
 box.
 If I push and pound, the whole assembly slides and I get the same 1/4"
 gap between the C-clip on the front main bearing and the wall of the
 box.

 I've looked and double checked everything, and it looks like the culprit
 are the replacement brass syncro rings.  The don't seat against their
 mating gear as closely as the old ones I replaced.

 OK, maybe I shouldn't have replaced the synchros, but the Bentley said
 that it would be "false economy not to do so".

 Who's had this problem? Is the solution to tear everything down
 again,and put back the old synchros? Am I being stubborn just because
 the four new synchros was a major fortune?

 Please help.

 Will in Wisconsin
 64 TR4

Hi Will
Pull the input & mainshafts back out and double check all the dimensions.
Sounds to me like you maybe have one of the synchro cups on backwards, or
perhaps there is something fouling the input - mainshaft juncture? The OA
dimension for the mainshaft assy is given in the workshop manual. If you
don't have, I can scan it for you.
When properly installed I believe the synchro rings are rather loose, so they
would have to be WAY off to cause this situation.
BTW Have you installed the small C-clips on the shafts that hold on the main
brgs? If the assy is wrong on the mshaft you may not clear the groove where
this animal sits. If not then almost surely something is amiss in the
mainshaft assy. Good Luck!

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B