TR4 Clutch Rebuild at an Impass

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Clutch Rebuild at an Impass
From: Will Daehler <wdaehler@execpc.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 21:42:20 -0600
My TR4 clutch rebuild project was going great.  I replaced the three
needle bearings and re-installed the 3rd gear C-clip.  These were hard
jobs. Having got this far I hadn't ever read from the discussions on the
list I wasn't prepared for any insurmountable hurdles after this.

But I am at a major impass.  With everything in the gear box I have
about 1/4" gap between the rear main bearing C-clip and the wall of the
box.
If I push and pound, the whole assembly slides and I get the same 1/4"
gap between the C-clip on the front main bearing and the wall of the
box.

I've looked and double checked everything, and it looks like the culprit
are the replacement brass syncro rings.  The don't seat against their
mating gear as closely as the old ones I replaced.

OK, maybe I shouldn't have replaced the synchros, but the Bentley said
that it would be "false economy not to do so".

Who's had this problem? Is the solution to tear everything down
again,and put back the old synchros? Am I being stubborn just because
the four new synchros was a major fortune?

Please help.

Will in Wisconsin
64 TR4