Re: TR4 Clutch Rebuild at an Impass

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Clutch Rebuild at an Impass
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 08:04:29 -0500
KTRIUMPH@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/28/99 10:55:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> wdaehler@execpc.com writes:
>
> << My TR4 clutch rebuild project was going great.  I replaced the three
>  needle bearings and re-installed the 3rd gear C-clip.  These were hard
>  jobs. Having got this far I hadn't ever read from the discussions on the
>  list I wasn't prepared for any insurmountable hurdles after this.
>
>  But I am at a major impass.  With everything in the gear box I have
>  about 1/4" gap between the rear main bearing C-clip and the wall of the
>  box.
>  If I push and pound, the whole assembly slides and I get the same 1/4"
>  gap between the C-clip on the front main bearing and the wall of the
>  box.
>
>  I've looked and double checked everything, and it looks like the culprit
>  are the replacement brass syncro rings.  The don't seat against their
>  mating gear as closely as the old ones I replaced.
>
>  OK, maybe I shouldn't have replaced the synchros, but the Bentley said
>  that it would be "false economy not to do so".
>
>  Who's had this problem? Is the solution to tear everything down
>  again,and put back the old synchros? Am I being stubborn just because
>  the four new synchros was a major fortune?
>
>  Please help.
>

>  Will in Wisconsin
>  64 TR4
>   >>
> Hi Will
> Pull the input & mainshafts back out and double check all the dimensions.
> Sounds to me like you maybe have one of the synchro cups on backwards, or
> perhaps there is something fouling the input - mainshaft juncture? The OA
> dimension for the mainshaft assy is given in the workshop manual. If you
> don't have, I can scan it for you.
> When properly installed I believe the synchro rings are rather loose, so they
> would have to be WAY off to cause this situation.
> BTW Have you installed the small C-clips on the shafts that hold on the main
> brgs? If the assy is wrong on the mshaft you may not clear the groove where
> this animal sits. If not then almost surely something is amiss in the
> mainshaft assy. Good Luck!
>
> Ken Nuelle
> 58 TR3A
> 62 TR3B
> 64 TR4

Will,

I agree with Ken.  Look carefully at the 4th gear syncro.  It has three teeth
that fit
into corresponding recesses in the 3-4 hub.  If the syncro isn't oriented to
drop into
into the hub recesses, it will make the entire assembly about 1/4" too long.
All the
others would have to be right or you couldn't have gotten as far as you have,
so check
that 4th gear syncro (the forward-most one between the input shaft and
mainshaft).

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars