Re: TEOTWAWKI?

To: Léon F Guyot <guyotleonf@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TEOTWAWKI?
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 07:48:21 +0100
Cc: 1-TR8-list <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, 1-Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hello Léon, and Friends
and may the Force be with You all over this dramatic rollover...
;-)

I hope You find it reassuring that we work just as usual at my
dear old nuclear power station, since we do not expect anything
out of the ordinary to happen, on - or off - site. No extra staff
in the control room shift team etc...  Personally I'll be at a
Millennium party with diving friends. [Even though the coveted
Millennium rollover for anything but the computers is still not
until next New Year!... :-) ]

Anyway, I read an article the other day in our local newspaper
about what to do with all our PCs that don't accept the rollover
into 00... Or other Y2k related hiccups...  The suggestions varied
from "toss it into the waste bin..." and the _much_ more comfort-
able to read "buy a new one..." all the way to a handy little
suggestion that I decided to hereby bring You all:

Set the date to 1972! That year looks exactly the same as 2000,
with the weekdays/dates/leap-year etc identical. The only negative
result will be the sorting of the incoming e-mail in recipients
mail handling programmes since the e-mail will be time stamped
accordingly with some of our mail collecting in the beginning/end
of the list depending on how the sorting order is set in the e-
mail programme... I can live with that... I'm sure most of us can...

[Personally I opted for a new PC since both my old ones will act
up during various critical dates in 2000 - but I know that is not
an option for lots of the good folks on these lists.]

So, go for 1972 - and stay above the Y2k Armageddon...
And, just as Léon said, there's a lot of computer chips and soft-
ware between this keyboard - and Your eyes. And no chain is any
stronger than its weakest link, unfortunately... So;
Hope to see You all, and the lists themselves, safely back on the
other side of the Star Gate in a few days time...

Signing off for three days of partying, and
Happy New ... something ... my friends,
Regards
/Odd
[With a TR8 that is not chipless - but definitely timeless... ;-) ]

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,